Sunday, July 27, 2008

Unless you become as a little child.......

Daily Reflection for Sunday 7/27/08

Christ’s insistence on the power of children is very striking.

Almost more than anything else in the Gospel, it proves that in God’s eyes, being something comes before doing something.

He sets a little child among his apostles as an example of what he loves.

He says that Heaven is full of children.

Indeed, the Architect of Love has built the door into Heaven so low that no one but a small child can pass through it, unless, to get down to a child’s little height, he goes in on his knees.

~ Caryll Houselander



Wow! This is an incredibly powerful quote! It's so funny how God's wisdom works in our everyday lives.

My focus lately has really been on children and their outlook on life.

Being a big overgrown kid myself, it is not too hard for me to relate to them on any level.

I remember as a child feeling sorry for adults who couldn't relate to children or were so jaded by life that they couldn't remember what it was like to be a kid. -looking forward to all that life has to offer and coping with all of life's disappointments with a sort of quick forgiveness and hope only a child has.

I've worked really heard all my life not to lose this outlook on life. Although sometimes it's harder at some points than others, I wish to remain a child in the eyes of our Lord.

I also wish to look at life not necessarily as a child would, but to keep that same hope and faith in life and in others that a child does.

Spend any amount of time with a child and you'll learn how quick they are to forgive and forget and hope for more fun in the future.

This is what I wish for all of us adults, to look at life with an adults wisdom but through a child's eyes and heart. What's wrong with having high hopes?

I hope on this beautiful Sunday afternoon you are able to spend some quality time with our Lord outside and appreciate all of his blessings in nature.

Look with wonder at our world and our Lord, no matter how many problems you may have, set them aside for today and put them in God's hands.

He'll take care of them as a good Father always does.

Take the role of His child and trust in Him.

Look at awe at all of His creations including other people and thank Him for every moment you have the opportunity to praise Him for everything He gives us!


Because the first must be the last
And only little ones may pass
Beyond the gate, narrow and small
Where God is waiting for us all.
Saint Francis, lift my spirit up
I raise to you my empty cup.
As I approach the narrow way
Make me a little one today.

-D. Allen

No comments: